Schools for collaboration :
- School of Computer Science & Engineering
- School of Architecture, Building & Design
- The Design School
Workout programmes mainly present themselves as downloadable applications created by specific fitness trainers or are posted on video-sharing platforms like YouTube. Programmes offered through fitness trainer applications only provide the videos and guidance of that particular trainer and may not be comprehensive enough to tailor for all user needs, whereas the programmes posted on YouTube do not often have extensive workout categories and usually focuses on popular search requests only, leaving less popular videos at the bottom of the search results page. This may cause feelings of confusion or frustration for some users that are unable to find suitable workout videos.
Yoga International (https://yogainternational.com/) is a good example of a fitness platform, as all content is produced by them and they offer monthly subscriptions for all individuals interested in yoga. New videos are uploaded daily, and this platform can be accessed anywhere at any time. Consumers have even described this platform as a “world-class portal for online yoga classes and teacher training”. Another fitness platform, Fitness22 (https://www.fitness22.com/), offers a combination of aerobic and strength training activities, along with some diet and relaxation remedies. Fitness22 has even been featured in Fox News and The New York Times newspaper. The only issue in these platforms are the lack of exercise varieties offered.
The creation of Healthify will serve as an exclusive platform for Malaysian and global users to have easy access to all forms of workout videos. With the sole requirement of having an Internet connection, Healthify can be tailored according to user preferences. Healthify is planned to be a video-streaming service, essentially serving as a user guide for all forms of fitness. It will be inclusive of multiple workout forms, such as High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT), Weightlifting, Resistance Training, Pilates, and Yoga.
- Spotify is a famous worldwide platform that offers digital copyright-restricted music for all to enjoy. Healthify will then be a similar model, consisting of various forms of guided workout videos that can be accessed through all forms of devices, as long as there is Internet connection. Users will be able to access Healthify through Internet browsers such as Google Chrome and Safari, or as a downloadable application from application stores such as the Apple App Store or Google Play Store for Android devices.
- Unlike fitness trainer applications that only upload content from that specific trainer, Healthify offers a wide variety of workout programmes from multiple fitness trainers. Healthify will be a ‘freemium service’, where primary platform features will be available to users for free. However, users will have to bear with targeted streams of advertisement and limited controls, such as only being able to view a chosen workout video for the exact duration of the video. Users that would like to revisit the same workout video within 7 days will have to be under the paid subscription. Additional features and controls can be accessed by users through monthly or yearly paid subscriptions, and these subscriptions can bring other user benefits such as commercial-free streaming, offline streaming, and even the opportunity to chat with a fitness professional of the user’s choosing. The option to select and compile specific videos into workout-lists (like playlists) will also be allowed through the paid subscription service, and users may share these workout-lists with family and friends who are valid users of Healthify.
- All content uploaded on Healthify by fitness trainers can be categorised in various ways – by fitness trainer, type of exercise, user’s mood, user’s targeted heart rate, user’s targeted estimated calorie expenditure, or user’s workout experience level. Content creators of Healthify will be paid through royalties based on the creator’s number of streams in proportion to the total videos streamed on Healthify, distributing about 70% of total revenues to content creators.
- The main objective of establishing Healthify is to provide individuals with an easily accessible platform filled with a wide variety of workout programmes. It will no longer be necessary for individuals to waste time screening through workout posts on YouTube or Instagram, as Healthify can provide workout-lists tailored to specific user requirements. The secondary objective of Healthify will be to allow fitness content creators to market themselves and their fitness-related skills. With the increasing user base, advertisements can be monetised as Healthify incorporates them as part of their service.
- Area of challenge (Engineering / Environmental / Design etc):As the project scope of work is very extensive, this project is expected to require several project teams from computer science for programming and graphic design purposes, as well as a marketing team for presenting Healthify to consumers and fitness trainers worldwide.
- The following components are included as part of this project:Users’ registration method (Healthify users will have to create a Healthify account with a valid email address to access the platform).
- Creators’ registration method (Healthify fitness content creators will have to create a Healthify account with a valid email address to access the platform, a separate one from the users).Method for obtaining users’ workout preferences (while setting up their account, users should be given a brief overview of all the types of exercise offered by Healthify, and then given the choice to rank their favourite type of workout – in order of most to least preferred).
- Method for obtaining users’ fitness trainer preferences (while setting up their account, users should be given a brief overview of all fitness trainers that are part of Healthify, and then given the choice to ‘skip this selection’ or rank their preferred fitness trainer in order of most to least preferred).Method for Healthify to display contents categorised by fitness trainer (Healthify should be able to let users select their fitness trainer of choice, and then display all workout videos created by that particular trainer).
- Method for Healthify to display contents categorised by type of exercise (Healthify should let users select their workout type of choice, and then display all workout videos aligned with the selection. For example, if the user selects ‘Resistance Training’, the full list of all resistance-training-related workout videos should be displayed).
- Method for Healthify to display contents categorised by users’ mood (for example, if the user selects ‘Feeling Happy’, the full list of all feel-good workouts should be displayed, such as dance workouts).Method for Healthify to display contents categorised by users’ targeted heart rate (this selection may be used by users who own Apple Watches or any other device that can track heart rates closely. For example, if the user chooses to elevate his or her heart rate to 160 bpm, Healthify will display a full list of workout videos that can do just that, such as Moderate Intensity Steady State (MISS) workouts like jogging).
- Method for Healthify to display contents categorised by users’ targeted estimated calorie expenditure (this selection may only be used by users who own Apple Watches or any other device that can track heart rates closely. For example, if the user would like to burn 200 calories within a session, Healthify will display a full list of workout videos that can help the user burn that same number of calories).
- Method for Healthify to display contents categorised by users’ workout experience level (for example, if the user has never exercised before and is a beginner at working out, Healthify will display a full list of workout videos suited for a beginner).
- Method for fitness content creators to upload videos according to specifications (for example, if a video being uploaded can be categorised as ‘Beginner’, ‘Yoga’, and ‘Feeling Happy’, then the video should be included in all workout-lists suited for beginners, yoga, as well as feeling happy).Method for Healthify to display the number of streams generated on every workout video.
The following components are excluded from this project:
- Payment system (online banking system for users under paid subscriptions – either monthly or yearly, and for content creators receiving royalties).